You’ll find more info about breakup, such as the dangers of using your kids away from state while a divorce proceedings is pending, on our divorce that is general page. To view videos that are brief divorce or separation in Spanish with English sub-titles, head to our Videos page. Finally, find out more about the court procedure on our get yourself ready for Court – By your self web web page.
Exactly what are the needs to declare divorce or separation in Puerto Rico?
To get divorced in Puerto Rico, you need to satisfy one of many following requirements:
- You have got resided in Puerto Rico for one or more 12 months straight away before filing the breakup petition; or
- The main cause (ground) for divorce or separation took place in Puerto Rico or whenever one of several partners ended up being residing in Puerto Rico. 1
Which are the grounds for breakup in Puerto Rico?
Below is a listing of the causes (reasons) for divorce or separation which can be appropriate in Puerto Rico:
- One of many partners commits adultery;
- Among the partners is sentenced to jail for the conviction of the felony, unless of course s/he gets a sentence that is suspended
- One of several partners is a chronic alcoholic or makes use of medications frequently and exceptionally;
- Cruel treatment or severe insults against one other partner;
- Year Abandonment of the other spouse for more than one;
- Total sexual impotence that is incurable and therefore began following the wedding;
- The effort of a partner to corrupt or prostitute the kids;
- The husband’s proposition to prostitute their spouse;
- Separation associated with partners for an uninterrupted time period of above 2 yrs;
- Incurable insanity of 1 associated with spouses for over seven years that began after wedding;
- Mutual permission, filed together via an ex parte petition in court or by way of a appropriate document ready by a notary public; and
- The breakdown that is irretrievable of wedding, filed by either celebration. (Note: Unlike the causes placed in figures 1 – 10, above, this ground is known as a “no-fault” ground so the judge can order the breakup centered on this ground no matter whether your better half things or perhaps not. ) 1