You can listen to the complete meeting by pressing here.
We covered a complete lot of subjects anything from why I believe they ought to leave the vocabulary in the SAT as is, to whether I believe test prep works. Among the topics that are many talked about had been:
- Different types of test prep, which work and just why
- Commercial test prep
- Signs of good vs bad test prep
- How exactly to inspire an adolescent
- Exactly What the faculty Board is testing
- The time that is best to tour colleges
- Lessons I learned all about the SAT
- Lessons we discovered as a mother
We also talked about my book that is upcoming Perfect get Project: Uncovering the Secrets of the SAT and what it’s all about.
How Much Does the SAT Count in the Admissions Decision?
Therefore how much does the SAT Count in the Admissions Decision?
SAT counts for lots more than colleges will admit to and less than students think.
The Academic Index the AI Calculator should shed light on ‚how much‘ the SAT counts. Although AI was created for athletes, they determine it for all pupils.
Don’t miss these Kitchen Table Math remarks, which add more insight, including one commenter who discovered a (somewhat old) College Board report that offers a wide range of details on the decision techniques utilized by many colleges.
The part that is first based on your SAT scores, the second component is predicated on your SAT II scores, and the third part is dependant on your GPA. The website link above talks about a GPA table supplied to the eight universities, but it generally does not explain the way the GPA is calculated. It generally seems to use a weighted scale where the most truly effective score is 4.3. I have not found out how this true quantity is calculated. The spreadsheet then proceeds to choose the higher rating connected with each of the two GPA numbers. It’s constantly struck me that the SAT ratings make up two-thirds with this index. Universities might come with a fudge element if they know something of a highschool, but no option for that shows up in the example spreadsheet.
Quadruplets‘ Mom Requirements SAT Advice
Dear Ms. Stier:
I recently came across your site and I love it! Thanks for doing it.
I could actually use some advise on how best to approach SAT test prep for my quadruplets. [me: OMG]
I’ve 3 girls and 1 boy. They took the PSAT in sophomore 12 months and they will need the PSAT once again this October.
One of the disadvantages of having all my children the same age is that any mistakes I make affects all four. None of them benefit so I hope to get this as right as I can from me learning from my mistakes.
Do you believe I should have them study as a little group together under my guidance (from experience it really is like attempting to herd cats); get a tutor for the four of these in a small group; have someone tutor them independently; or send them up to a SAT test prep center? Or a mixture of all of these? I have to view my costs too.
How can I find a good tutor? What is the best test prep business?
If these are concerns I can be helped by you with i’d appreciate it. Then that’s okay and I appreciate you taking your time to read my email if it is not something that you can help me.
Thanks again for the info that is website
Dear Multiple Mom,
My gut says to do some work together with all four (e.g. lots of vocab, full training tests, and they can explain answers to one another because that is clearly a smart way to learn), and do some preparation separately. If you can find a tutor( that is affordable), that’s the best means.
Listed here are a couple of questions to ask a potential tutor (or test prep company):
1) can you modify your approach and, if so, how?
2) exactly What’s your average score gain per student? Numerous tutors will not answer this concern because there are so numerous variables that it’s very nearly not fair to ask. Having said that, an excessive ‚average score gain‘ should be considered a flag. e.g., 200 points in 30 days.
3) just how long do you advise students to get ready for the SAT and how much will it cost? The right response will be individual and will depend on where the pupil begins and what the target is.
4) What test prep materials can you use? ( If it’s not College that is official Board, be wary.)
5) how homework that is much there be between sessions? (A great tutor will have students do as much act as possible off the clock, such as vocab and practice tests.)
The first faltering step is to have all four kids take an official College Board practice SAT. You can use one from the College Board’s Blue Book, or a practice is had by the College Board test on its website.
You will need to figure out what they need to work on and whether or not they need foundational work or more traditional test prep polish. My guess is they need foundational work, as most kids do (and as we did!). Ensure you pick a tutor or test prep business who can assess that well!
Regarding test prep companies, I’d stay away from anyone whom doesn’t primarily use College Board product (that would include most/if not all large, brand-name test prep companies).